Welcome to our blog! As an Army family, we are not usually stationed anywhere close to our relatives and often have to leave behind dear friends every time we move. This blog is our way of keeping our family & friends in "the loop". Check back every few weeks to see what is happing in our lives!

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

I love to read a great book, but rarely have the time without sacrificing sleep. I’m sure you know what I’m talking about… the kids are finally sound asleep after a normal day of chaos, the kitchen is clean, and you’re in bed for the evening, snug and warm, with your current read. You’re only going to read a “few” chapters and then turn out the light so you can get some rest. Only, mysteriously, hours have passed without your knowledge and you have gone from getting at least 8 hours of sleep to only getting 4.

Honestly, I think a great book is sometimes worthy of a few less hours of sleep, I just need to find the right book and the motivation to actually take the time to read it. So, I was thrilled when my dear friend Heather decided to start a small book club. I have always wanted to be a part of a book club ~ reading great books and then getting together with other readers to discuss our thoughts on the subject matter over coffee. It all seems so sophisticated… and, believe it or not, I do actually have deep thoughts and love to dig into a character (my English teachers would be so proud…).

So here, my friends, is my brief review of our first book ~ The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer & Annie Barrows. I am no literary expert, so my apologies if this seems scattered.


The book was cleverly written as a series of letters between the main character, Juliet Ashton, and the residents of a small island off the coast of England (Guernsey) that was occupied by the German Army during World War II. The book begins post war in 1946. I found that I had to remind myself several times that this book was fiction as it is historically accurate. The characters were developed very well and seemed so real… I quickly fell in love with them and their quirky ways. I was captivated by their stories and how the German occupation impacted their lives. It is both humorous and touching. I LOVED this book and recommend it highly!

2 comments:

erin said...

the soup was SO GOOD. :)
yoga was awesome, too - i feel so relaxed (i know, it sounds stupid but that's the only way to explain it). i ran before the class, so it was a nice way to wind down.
how are you guys doing?

dkinner7 said...

I am way behind on checking your blog so I'm catching up now. ; } This book looks really good - I'll have to read it soon!!!