Welcome to our blog! As an Army family, we are not usually stationed anywhere close to our relatives and often have to leave behind dear friends every time we move. This blog is our way of keeping our family & friends in "the loop". Check back every few weeks to see what is happing in our lives!

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Conscious Eating

Many years ago I decided to become a vegetarian. I would like to say it was a life changing experience, but it only lasted one month. Even now as I type this I can't believe how quickly my motivation came and went... I guess I could blame said lack of motivation on those (who shall remain nameless) that made fun of me and told me I was crazy. I could even blame my dear family who still required meat at meals. But the truth is, I really like a great steak once in a while. So, then, why does becoming a vegetarian still intrigue me? What crazy mind games are going on inside this head of mine?!?!

But, Alas!!!! Today, as I was stalking a few blogs, I ran across this post by Mary Beth at Salt and Chocolate. Her post mentioned that one of my favorite cookbook authors, Mark Bittman, has a new book out! I was completely overjoyed (as I have a slight cookbook addiction) and immediately opened her link to this podcast. Here's a quick summary: he lives a vegan lifestyle all day and then eats whatever he wants for dinner (or "vegan 'til 6pm"). I realize that I just lost many of you, but for those of you who are still reading, this was a new concept to me and I am so excited to try it out! Not necessarily because I want to save the earth or throw red paint on fur coats, but because I need to add more veggies to my life and long to be healthier. I'm realize that the "vegan 'til 6pm" isn't a mind blowing concept and won't win the Nobel, but it has opened my eyes to options that I have never considered before.

So, to those of you who feel the need to make fun of my new found "vegan 'til 6pm" lifestyle, don't. And for those of you who are equally intrigued by this idea, you can get more info in Mark Bittman's new book Food Matters: A Guide to Conscious Eating.

1 comment:

Gina, Ken, Matthew and Lincoln Phillips said...

Interesting! Keep us informed of your progress.